Friday, March 9, 2012

They're shrinking!!

My tumors are shrinking!!  I have been anticipating this appointment for 2 months now and am so happy to know that the chemo is working.  The one in my breast has shrunk about one centimeter. It is difficult to tell if there are still cancer cells in my spine or not, but the doctor said that the bone is acting as if there isn't because it is growing back so nicely.  The bone in my back won't grow back exactly as it was before, but it is filling in.  The same goes for my rib.  The CT scan shows there are no new spots either!

The action plan is to keep doing chemo until the tumor stops shrinking then they will put me on tomaxafin to keep everything stabilized. Tomaxafin is a hormonal therapy that blocks estrogen receptors and comes in the form of a pill.  There are very few side effects, which is nice because I will possibly be taking this indefinitely.  Hopefully I will only be doing chemo for about 2 more months, but I will plan on 4 then I'll be pleasantly surprised when/if it is less.  I have learned that patience is required for cancer patients.  It is difficult to predict what will happen or how long treatments will last because it really is a month by month process.  That is ok, I feel I am getting exceptional care at the Huntsman center and am very lucky to be there.

The next question is the back brace.  How long will I be in it.  Before today I would say, "I don't know!"  I met with the spine guy today and as of next Wednesday I will start weening myself off it.  I will start by not wearing it for an hour, then 1.5 hours then 2 etc.  By April 20 I will be OUT OF THE TURTLE SHELL!!!!!! Who's excited?  I have a love/hate relationship with this brace.  It came at a great time when I was literally moving slower than Tim's grandma, in her 90's, because of the pain.  So thanks brace, but I'm ready to part with you.

How's the vegan diet going?  I went into all of this diet change stuff knowing I would eventually make some changes, so here goes.  I have added yogurt and fish and occasionally chicken (costa vida cough cough).  I eat a lot of fruits and veggie's, beans, whole grains, chips and salsa but my saving grace are smoothies!  I am still avoiding soy at all cost, but not being so strict with sugar. Tonight is liquid brick night at Caspers...basically the best milk shake ever!  I am a little upset because tonight is the last night it is open!

My mom always say's there is a lot of adversity before something good comes along.  Last week was a rough week, I won't lie.  I have felt like a crazy lady with no control over her emotions at times.  I am lucky to have such supportive family members, friends and Tim.  Thank you to everyone who has shown support over the past few months to me and my family.  This is a trial no family can get through alone.  I have felt so much love from so many different sources, Thank You, it is much appreciated!!

9 comments:

  1. Kelly this is such great, great, great news! I'm so glad. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shout out for shrinkage!!! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO, so glad. We love you, Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE YOU! So happy to hear this news!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this update on Lindsay's facebook, and am so happy to hear the report. YAY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you will miss the brace from making everyone believe you have such rock hard abs! Love you, love your family, love Tim for everything he has/is doing for you. And I love more than anything that I got to spend time with you on Thursday! :) I like to think my stalking you is paying off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So exciting Kelly!! I'm so happy to hear that you are doing so well! You are such an inspiration. Call me this summer! We need to do lunch!

    ReplyDelete