Thursday, March 30, 2017

Puppy Love

You know that time in your life when you are looking for someone special, but you just keep finding duds?  Yeah, try being in that phase only you are bald, jobless, graduated from college and living at home.  Certainly I was a catch, but I guess the misters didn't agree.  I went on a lot of first dates that went something like this.  A friend lines me up with some guy who also thinks he's a catch.  We smile and make small talk and I beat around the bush trying to avoid the big C word. When he asks me what I do for work I say something to the effect of, "I'm dealing with some health issues so I'm not working right now." What a turn on.  My personal favorite was mentioning on a first date that I had stage 4 breast cancer spread to my bones and that my hair was so short because I lost it from chemotherapy.  When life gives you a bad date...make lemonade.


As fun as first dates were, I needed something more in my life.  So, what better way to fill a void than a puppy?  Charlie was my first dog. He was the best first dog.

No automatic alt text available.

Image may contain: 1 person

Image may contain: 1 person

No automatic alt text available.

Charlie, my cavalier king charles spaniel, and I did everything together.  Whenever I had a bad day, he was there to snuggle with me.  When I had a good day, he was there to go on a walk with me.  I told him my deepest darkest secrets and he listened and never talked back. I guess I would be lying if I said I don't do that anymore.  Charlie definitely filled a void.

And then love came along when I was least expecting it.

I first saw my husband in the Relief Society room, at our church, before a singles ward activity.  His cousin, and my long time friend, planned an activity to go to Nightmare on 13th.  You know, get a bunch of single Mormons trapped in a scary house and see how many marriages come from it.  Anyhow, she invited him to come because she wanted to set him up with someone in our ward.  So when I first saw him, he was talking to that someone.  My thoughts at first sight were, "He's pretty cute and tall (not to mention pale as a ghost) and he should be talking to me not her!" I smiled as I glanced in his direction in attempt to draw his attention.  Then on our way out of the building to get into our cars, we literally bumped into each other.  To this day I remember his huge smile and squinty eyes.  His countenance shone brightly and I just couldn't get him off my mind.  I was drawn to him.

Once we arrived at the haunted house, there was a lot of waiting in line, which gave me time to come up with a plan.  I was in the small group with his cousin, which meant he would be with us as well.  All I needed to do was make a good impression on him so he would notice me and not the other girls trying to flirt with him. Yes, I had competition, but I was sure about this one. There were a lot of people there that night, so we were packed like sardines once we entered the house. I didn't mind though, in fact I saw it as an opportunity. I linked my arm with his and didn't let go until the exit.  He claims I left him with bruises, I beg to differ.

Well, that was that.  I didn't hear from him for a month.  A MONTH! However, the night of the haunted house, we independently asked his cousin about each other.  She, being the blunt person she is, responded respectively,  "Her name is Kelly and she has cancer" and, "His name is Nick and he is divorced."   There was no hiding it at this point, I was prepared to never hear from him again, which makes this next part so special to me. His reaction to this news was, "Ok, what is she like?  What does she like to do?"  The fact that I had cancer had no impact on whether he wanted to pursue me or not.  That was when I knew there was something different about him.

So the month passed and he saw a picture of me and his cousin on Facebook and realized I was the girl from the haunted house (he later told me he just had a laundry list of girls he needed to take out before he could commit to me).  The next couple of days went something like this: he added me on Facebook and we chatted for a while, then we texted, then he called to ask me out. Listen to that, chivalry is not lost!  I had just about had it with guys asking me out over text message.  I mean, grow a pair and call me for goodness sake. I deserve that much, right?!  So again, there was something different about him.

And the rest is history.  We have seen each other every single day since our first date.  That is our love story. Life has not been a breeze, but every bump in the road, every disappointment has brought us closer as a couple.  I am forever grateful I decided to go to that haunted house because now I get to link arms for eternity with the most amazing man I have ever met!  Thanks for putting up with me babe, love you lots ❤

Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, child, tree, outdoor and closeup
PC: Kirstin Roper Photography

1 comment:

  1. You sap. I love it. And, don't hate on the pasty white boy. He looks a lot like his big sis ;-)

    ReplyDelete