Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The big news

Hey all,
I have never done a blog before so this is a little weird for me, but I figured this would be the most efficient way to keep people updated on what is going on right now.  You are probably thinking, "What in the world is she talking about."  Well folks, I was diagnosed with breast cancer on November 16, 2011.  Yeah I know, shocker.  I didn't see it coming either.  Only 2-3% of women who get breast cancer are under the age of 30, and only 4-5% under 40. I'm in the top 2%, lucky me!

So with that said, you probably have a bunch of questions you would like answered (as do I), I will just do a little Q & A to cover what people this past week have been wondering. Here goes:

Q: How did you find it?
A: It was kind of a fluke that I found it because I wasn't looking for anything.  I woke up one morning and my arm was strewn across my body and I felt a lump in my right breast with my arm.  I immediately made an appointment to get it checked out.

Q: Does it hurt?
A: Nope

Q: What kind of tests did they do?
A: I first had an ultrasound, then they did a core biopsy

Q:How big is it?
A: It is fairly large. 4.9 cm/4.9 cm/3.5 cm. Because of the size it is bordering stage 3

The final question is usually, how are you doing?
My answer thus far has been something like this: Surprisingly peaceful.  Yes this is a shock, however I do not feel like it is coincidence.  I have felt cloudy about what I should do after graduation (I graduate with my Bachelors of Music next month, woot woot) considering I do not feel good about going on to graduate school right away.  My plan was to wait one year and then reconsider.  All in all, things seem to be finally coming together.  I picture my life as a giant puzzle.  I have been trying so hard to put pieces together that just aren't compatible, but now it feels as if they are settling in the right places.  I don't know how or when all of this will end, but I know that it will and that everything has a purpose.  God knows what is best for me and He will never give me a trial I am unable to handle.  I can't do this all by myself, so that is why He has sent me angels, seen and unseen.  Thanks to everyone who has already shown love and support.  I appreciate it more than you know!

6 comments:

  1. Kelly, You have so much support both on earth and in heaven! Your guardian angels are around you! I know it is a scary thing to be facing. If I can do anything to help, please call me. My mom has been battling breast cancer for about 6 months now and is doing incredibly well. Anything I have learned from her treatments are at your disposal. You are in our prayers. Lots of love to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for keeping us posted, Kelly. And stay positive and you will get through this! Big hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Sestra, I had no idea. I am so sorry, but it seems you are handling yourself extremely well under the circumstances. Nebeski Oce bo s teboj, in tudi bom jaz z molitvijo! Imam te rada, bodi srecna, in bos z Bogom zmagala!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly! I hope you don't mind if I stalk your blog. My mom passed away from cancer almost 2 weeks ago, and I was heart broken when I read that you've been diagnosed. Here is a big long hug from me! I always hated when people would find out that my mom was sick and then say stuff like, "Oh, my mom died of cancer!" I don't mean to be offensive, or a killer of hope. In fact, I KNOW that there is lots of hope. People get better all the time and medical treatments work. I'm glad that you are strong in your testimony and feel at peace. I think you are awesome. Good luck in the upcoming days, weeks, months. I know prayer helps a lot, so know that you are in mine, and many other friends and families prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly, you are amazing. My prayers will definitely be heading your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly, this is Mary Driggs. We just found out about this, and I want you to know that our prayers are with you. Our beautiful 15 year old daughter Claire was diagnosed with leukemia on October 15th, so we are facing a similar battle. We have also felt a surprising amount of peace and we have definitely been the recipients of many miracles. We love you, and we know that we are all in God's hands.

    ReplyDelete