Thursday, November 24, 2011

Testing, testing, testing

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  There is so much to be grateful for.  Right now I am very grateful for modern medicine!  Lately I have been thinking about people who probably had cancer that lived hundreds of years ago, even decades ago.  They did not have the technology or resources we have today.  So a big thanks to doctors, modern medicine, and research!

When I first found out I had cancer, I thought they would have me in surgery the next week and then start treatments immediately following.  However, it is a longer process than I anticipated.  I have been to the hospital several times, and still have further testing. I have already had an ultrasound and a biopsy.  I had a bone scan yesterday which I will tell you about below, a CT scan tomorrow and a mammogram and another ultrasound next Wednesday (not looking forward to that one).  My sisters joke that I am a little lab rat...I have been feeling like it lately, minus the tail and whiskers.  This has all been really interesting to learn about my body and cancer, not saying this is the best way to learn about it, but interesting nonetheless.  I don't know and probably wont know for at least a week when I will have surgery/start treatments.  I know, I want to know as bad as you but we're all going to have to be patient and wait it out.  In the mean time I am keeping busy doing as many active things as possible before I am bedridden...assuming it will come to that.


For those of you interested in what a bone scan is, keep reading.  I injured my hip last July and it has been bothering me since, so they just want to be thorough and make sure there isn't a direct connection between the pain and cancer, also to find out what really is going on in my hip. Bone scan, it sounds intense, however it wasn't too bad.  I went in at noon for an injection; which basically shoots radioactive material that acts as dye that can detect any cancer that may have spread to the bones.  That was probably the worst of it, I hate needles! Ewe! Luckily Tim was there holding my hand, distracting me.  Side note: Tim and I have been dating for over a month now and he is the greatest person I could ask for right now.  He is rock solid and has been wonderful through all of this, despite the fact that I found out I had cancer on his birthday. Please keep him in your prayers too.  Ok, back to the scan.  I had to wait 3 hours before going back for the actual scan, so we went four wheeling and ate lunch to get our minds off of it.  When we went back the doctor was very nice and personable, he actually smiled and laughed a little.  I think doctors are too serious, granted they deal with life and death daily, with that aside I try to get them to laugh, but they just don't think I'm funny.  Don't worry though, I'll keep trying. He had me lie down on my back and put a blanket on me, my arms were straight at my side, and there were straps around my body to keep me still...like a full body straight jacket.  I had to hold completely still for 23 minutes!  The machine was quite extraordinary.  This was a full body scan so it started with my head.  The scanner came down about 4 inches from my face, it moved up and down for a few minutes, then the bed I was lying on moved backwards so the scanner was over my chest and rib cage. It did the same thing then moved down until it had covered my whole body.  I felt quite helpless just sitting there.  I wanted to turn my head to talk to Tim, but I figured I would start laughing, causing my body to move and they would have to start over, so I didn't.  It wasn't as traumatic as I was expecting.  I would do that over an injection any day!

That's that for now.  I'm doing well, besides this cold I caught the other day.  If anyone needs any type of cold medicine, pretty sure I can supply, haha.  Hope y'all have a great Thanksgiving! Much love!

3 comments:

  1. I HATE bone scans! The machine I've had mine in (in the past) were so loud and I'm slightly claustrophobic so yeah not the most fun I've had either. I'm SO glad Tim was there with you and you didn't have to do that alone. Thanks Tim!!! Thanks for the update

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!! Russ told us about the news, so sorry to hear. Katie gave me your blog address so I'll be officially stalking you now :) Your good attitude is very inspiring - good luck with everything - we'll keep you in our prayers. Just for the record I'd much rather have an injection than be straight jacketed with a machine 4 inches from my face - I'd FREAK out - like seriously I'd probably ask to be put out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Not that you know another Brienne but this is Brienne Poole.

    ReplyDelete